[Phys-L] Re: Microwave experiments

I look for another explanation as the tine spacing is < 1/10
wavelength. I need a more complete description of the geometry
including adjacent objects that may be reflecting the wave. Simply
moving the receiver coaxially results in a sinusoidal variation in
amplitude, because the recvr (and xmittr) and not xact matches. i.e.
produce a non unity SWR.

bc

p.s. 1/8" (3 mm ~ 1/10 wavelength) copper mesh screen is the same as a
solid copper sheet, while a comb w/ tine spacing 1/2" (12.7 mm ~ 0.4
wavelength) is 50% transmitting (crossed orientation). [Strong, op. cit.]

Michael Edmiston wrote:

cut

I would guess the reflections from multiple tines would create the
possibility of interference phenomena and that could be why you notice
the fluctuations as you move the tines or detector.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817