[Phys-L] Modeling Workshops in physics, chem, phys sci this summer

Jan. 27, 2006
ANNOUNCEMENT (please forward to high school physics, chem, & physical
science teachers whom you know):

MODELING WORKSHOPS NATIONWIDE:
Modeling Workshops in high school physics, chemistry, and/or physical
science will be held in summer 2006 in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Chicago
Illinois, Kansas, New York, and Ohio. Visit <http://modeling.asu.edu> for
details. Click on "Modeling Workshops Nationwide in Summer 2006".
Modeling Workshops are peer-led. Modeling Instruction is the only high
school science program recognized by the U.S. Dept.of Education as
EXEMPLARY.

Most teachers greatly value Modeling Instruction. For example:
* Jane Nelson, Orlando, FL (Disney HS math/science awardee, Presidential
science awardee) wrote: "In thirty years of teaching, nothing has impacted
my teaching, since my first days of learning how to teach science in
undergraduate school, like the ideas I've learned in modeling. It is the
best idea to enter the teaching methods I have ever seen."
* David Braunschweig, Madison, WI (retired; consultant for Vernier
Software & Technology) wrote: "After the first year of teaching using the
modeling method, I wished I had learned about modeling years ago."
---------------------------------
ARIZONA:
Summer graduate courses at Arizona State University in Tempe (a suburb of
Phoenix):
Modeling Workshops in mechanics (choose June 12-30 or July 10-28)
Modeling Workshop in chemistry (July 10-28)
Modeling Workshop in electricity (microscopic models)
Modeling Workshop in waves
Modeling Workshop in 8th & 9th grade phys sci (June 12-30)
Physics and Astronomy
Structure of Matter
Integrated Math and Science for Middle School
Leadership workshop
Teachers may want to enroll in these courses to earn credit towards
re-certification, or to pursue an interdisciplinary
Master of Natural Science degree (MNS). Take one course or several!

Teachers express high satisfaction! They've said:
* I learned a tremendous amount and am all fired up to teach physics this fall!
* Most useful course I have taken since becoming a teacher.
* It was an incredible experience and it has changed my outlook on how to
teach completely.
* I LOVE this MNS program!

Visit <http://modeling.asu.edu> and scroll down to "ASU graduate
program...". Bookmark the website for future reference. (Excellent family
housing in nearby upscale Scottsdale; inexpensive! ASU has apartment
housing; last summer a private room was $20/day. Southwest Airlines has
$200 round trip sales. Meals are cheap & restaurants are plentiful.)

Cheers,
Jane Jackson <jane.jackson@asu.edu> 480-965-8438

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331 <http://modeling.asu.edu>
For 15 years, the Modeling Instruction Program has been
helping teachers attain knowledge and skills needed
to benefit their students. Modeling Instruction is the
only high school science program recognized as Exemplary
by the U.S. Department of Education.