[Phys-L] Re: Another attack on Evolution

At 16:04 -0500 1/23/06, Ken Caviness wrote:

Sorry, Hugh, I can't agree with your statement quoted below.

According to this logic, _any_ area of science may be discussed on the
PHYS-L list as long as it is a "current high-profile target".
Biological topics are fine, if they are current high-profile targets.
(This despite the fact that "PHYS" does still stand for "Physics", I
believe.)

In an open democracy, you have the right to disagree with me, and I
commend you for exercising that right.

However, your comment reminds me of the old story that begins "When
they came for the Jews, I said I wasn't a Jew so it doesn't affect me
. . ." and ends with "But when they came for me, there was no one
left to take up my cause."

The attacks on evolution are not just directed toward biology, but to
all science. The Kansas State Board of Education has seen fit to
redefine *all* science to include supernaturalistic explanations for
natural phenomena, not just biology or evolution. This is not a war
against evolution, which when won will go away, leaving the rest of
us to go on our way in peace, but a war against all science. And if
we don't close ranks with the current targets, you can be sure that,
sooner or later, they will come after us.

In the immortal words of Ben Franklin, whose tercentennial we
celebrate this month, "We must all hang together, or assuredly we
shall all hang separately."

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they
will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams