[Phys-L] Re: Another attack on Evolution

(easier to read, I hope)
=20
=46rom: Forum for Physics Educators on behalf of Justin Parke
Sent: Sat 1/21/2006 1:38 PM
Subject: Re: Another attack on Evolution

The problem as I see it is that while honest people do not dispute th=
at evolution (i.e. changes within a species) occurs it has not yet be=
en established to anywhere near the same level of indisputability tha=
t all species evolved from a single or a few common ancestors. I thi=
nk your logical progression is misleading in that it assumes that sin=
ce change within a species has been observed that all other postulate=
s of evolutionary theory are therefore true.
---------------------------------------------------------------------=
---------------

The evidence that species evolved from a common ancestor seems overwh=
elming:

1. The perfect nesting taxonomy of all living things

<http://www.evolutionary.tripod.com/dawkins_blindwatchmaker_1996_full=
.pdf>=20
page 256- in the actual book (page 260- if you look at the paginatio=
n at the bottom of the screen)

"For evolutionary biologists there is something very special about th=
e classification of living organisms, something that is not true of a=
ny other kind of taxonomy. It follows from the idea of evolution that=
there is one uniquely correct branching family tree of all living t=
hings, and we can base our taxonomy upon it. In addition to its uniqu=
eness, this taxonomy has the singular property that I shall call perf=
ect nesting. What this means, and why it is so important, is a major =
theme of this chapter."

See also chapter 11.

2. The common mechanism of replication (via DNA) of all living things=
.

Larry Woolf