[Phys-L] Re: Another attack on Evolution

"Actually evolution is not a conventional liberal/conservative issue as
it is an issue pitting science against religion. At this moment the
Republicans just happen to be allied with a particular religious
faction, so it then also happens to be a political issue."

Right, remember W. J. Bryan prosecuted Scopes, but was, otherwise, a rather progressive (populist) Democrat, no?

bc

p.s. Scopes volunteering to be a test case was a blessing.

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/scopes/Sco_sco.htm

John M Clement wrote:

Actually evolution is not a conventional liberal/conservative issue as
it is an issue pitting science against religion. At this moment the
Republicans just happen to be allied with a particular religious
faction, so it then also happens to be a political issue. There is no
reason for pitting religion against science because they ask different
questions. But some politicians now see it as being to their
advantage to be anti-science by pandering to the fundamentalist
Protestant (and apparently Mormon) population. Catholics, mainline
Protestants, and possibly Orthodox Christians do not have a problem
with evolution, so it is not inherently a conservative vs liberal
issue. As far as I can see Europeans and Asians also have no problem
with it, so again it is not a political problem, but it is an attack
on science.

Incidentally Mormonism was born in a Protestant area of the US, and
the Book of Mormon reflects the prevailing prejudices at the time it
was written. As a result it is not surprising that they might side
with the fundamentalist wing. There are also some ultra-orthodox Jews
that also take the fundamentalist point of view.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX