[Phys-L] Re: fluid

At 01:03 PM 1/19/2006, you wrote:
I'm starting to teach fluids this afternoon, for the first time in
decades, and I just stumped myself. Putting your finger at the top
of a straw immersed in a glass of water allows you to lift the
straw. I understand that the difference in pressure between the
water near the top of the straw and that at its bottom causes the
water to rise, but what forces lift the straw?
skip

Though I replicated Skip's observation, with a tall glass of cool water
and a short plastic drinking straw, I concluded that the force that
kept the straw attached to my finger tip was merely its small net
buoyancy while completely submerged and vertical.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!