[Phys-L] Re: lead vest

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu> on Thursday,
January 19, 2006 at 6:18 PM -0500 wrote:
Typical dental x-ray energy runs between 60 and 70 keV.

x-rays of this energy and below are pretty much knocked out even with 1
mm of lead sheet, so I would think a 3 mm apron would be extremely
effective.

I would certainly expect anyone using a lead vest on their body or in
their luggage would immediately be subjected to a hand search. Blocking
the airport x-rays does not make you invisible; it's just the opposite.
You would effectively be shouting to the security personnel, "I'm hiding
something! Better search me!"

I was thinking more about someone concealing something in a carry-on bag,
rather
than on one's self. It would then appear "very dark" on the x-ray TV
monitor. Right?
I assume this would be a "red flag" to those watching as most objects are
'transparent"
to some degree when zapped with x-rays. Yes?

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817