[Phys-L] Re: Solstices and Equinoxes Down Under

I explicitly duck the question of whether "vernal equinox" equates
to "spring equinox". It's a mess.

I thought they were the same word, just different languages.

When the S. hemisphere has its place in the sun, then "we" will suffer.

bc, who doesn't think the "New American Century" will apply to this one.

John Denker wrote:

Edmiston, Mike wrote:

(1) Do textbook publishers write a separate version of astronomy texts
for sale in the Southern Hemisphere,

Usually not.

or do those folks just suffer with
textbooks that have things labeled backwards?

Usually it's just a mess.

In *my* writings, I have adopted the following trick: Any ideas that
need to be reversed down under are flagged with the � symbol;
northern audiences can just ignore the flag. For instance: cyclones
rotate counter-clockwise�.

Another trick I've used is to refer to the northern solstice and the
southern solstice (which happen in June and December, respectively,
no matter where you are).

I explicitly duck the question of whether "vernal equinox" equates
to "spring equinox". It's a mess.

And just for fun, speaking of non-portable calendars:

-- Think how much fun it is to fast from dawn to dusk when Ramadan
occurs in June in (say) Nordkapp, Norway.

-- Similarly, it's sometimes tough to define Shabbat in terms of three
stars seen in the evening.

The list goes on and on......