[Phys-L] Re: relativistic doppler effect (was: The view from the Enterprise.)

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Mallinckrodt" <ajm@CSUPOMONA.EDU>

Let's take this specific example and just run some numbers. Suppose
the rest frequency is 2 Hz so that, at v = (3/4)^1/2 c it becomes 1
Hz. The source emits a pulse and one second later (according to the
observer "at rest") it emits another pulse. In that one second the
source moves (3/4)^(1/2) of a light second while the first pulse
moves a full light second. The pulses are, thus, 1 - (3/4)^(1/2) of
a light second apart. This is the wavelength and it corresponds to
an observed frequency of

f_obs = [1 - (3/4)^(1/2)]^-1 Hz = 7.46 Hz

in agreement with the general formula.

But now adding the Lorentz contraction lowers this to 3.75 Hz according to
the relativistic Doppler effect. I'm not sure to what frame I apply the
contraction here to get that result rather than twice John's answer.
Someone want to explain?

Rick