[Phys-L] Re: Doppler film loop

The Chron. had an article about the ravaging of the S.F. collection when
they moved to their new site. At least the books were offered for sale
(maybe only after the first article).

I think it was the New Yorker (Atlantic?) that had an article pointing
out the lost info. when librarians replaced card files electronically.
It printed cards showing the info. penciled in over many years by
librarians not transferred electronically.

bc, victim of nostalgia, who also has a wooden card catalog as coffee
table in our TV room, rescued from Mills College.

p.s. could not the culling, sub. dropping, etc. be a result of the
general lack of private and govt. interest in ed.?

Monce, Michael N. wrote:

It seems to be a common "malady" among librarians. Ours has dropped =
not only the print subscriptions, but now also the electronic subscri=
ptions to many of the major journals. They dropped our access to the=
physics search engines because our "usage parameters didn't justify =
the subscription" without telling us. I only found out when I told s=
ome of my students working on research to do a search form some artic=
les and they told me the search engine was gone. Meanwhile the coffe=
e lounge in the library continues to expand as shelf space is taken d=
own for new booths
=20
Mike Monce
Connecticut College

=46rom: Forum for Physics Educators on behalf of Spagna Jr., George