[Phys-L] Re: Classroom Response Systems (CRS)

I have been using the eInstruction system along with 5 other physics colleagues since fall of 2004.
I have been quite pleased overall with eInstruction, however there are a few issues that have come
up, primarily with the Mac version. We initially used the IR clickers, but these were not
sensitive enough in the larger classroom. The room lights even interfered. We now use RF with no
problems at all. This past semester I was on a university committee to select a campus-wide
standard system. After considering 9 vendors (most did on-campus presentations), we have selected
Turning Point. The costs for eInstruction are the following: receivers were free with adoption,
software also provided for free, students bought the RF clickers for $15 last semester, but are now
paying $20. In addition, they must also go online to register each semester and pay $12, usually
$15. We got a deal because the vendor wanted us to select them as the sole provider on campus.
The Turning Point system works similarly, except there is no registration fee. Students pay more
for the clickers (between $35 and $50), but it is a one time cost to them and they can buy and sell
used clickers. Most students will keep them because they will use them in other courses throughout
their careers. So far on our campus, clickers are being used in physics, biology, communications,
health sciences, business, history, and politcal science.

We're looking into CRS. There are three systems mentioned in a recent
AJP article (Jan '06, p. 31), eInstruction CPS, InterWrite PRS, and
H-ITT. I found some information through Google. Can anyone share some
experience with any of these (e.g., what does it REALLY cost the
institution? the student?) Are there others that you would recommend?

John Milton
De Paul University
Department of Physics