[Phys-L] Re: earthquakes +- critical thinking

Actually there was an article a number of years about how they had actually
triggered small earthquakes. It was a special case however. As I recall
they were pumping water into a fault region. The water allowed a number of
very small quakes to happen.

But then what do you do about the big events like Krakatoa?

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

The Discovery Channel has been running programs about tsunamis.

Near the end of one program, they interviewed some big-shot professor
who wanted to reduce the risk by triggering small earthquakes. He
stood on the beach and said into the camera that you would need 10
or maybe 100 magnitude-3 earthquakes to take the place of one
magnitude-8 earthquake.

I muttered something like "what an idiotic thing to say." One of my
relatives, who had been watching the program, said she didn't believe
him; specifically, she didn't think he had any way of actually triggering
the earthquakes. I said that's not a strong argument; that's just
your opinion against his; you can't *prove* there is no possible
triggering mechanism.

My point is that there's a much stronger argument -- an irrefutable
*physics* argument -- that *proves* the proposed scheme cannot possibly
work.

This makes an amusing exercise ... definitely not a plug-and-chug
exercise ... definitely not an ACT "science reasoning" question
(i.e. 40 questions in 35 minutes). So, what's the proof?

====

It kinda makes you wonder what goes on at these TV companies.
Obviously they don't do much in the way of fact-checking ... but
the question is, why not? I note that the discovery.com web site
describes their company as "real-world media and entertainment".
I guess the emphasis is on entertainment, not real-world.

In some sense this is the mirror-image of my previous note about
leap-seconds. Neither leap seconds nor the lack of leap seconds
is going to kill anybody (breathless claims to the contrary
notwithstanding). But tsunamis and earthquakes do kill people.
Something that kills a few hundred thousand people is pretty
serious, even if it happens only rather infrequently.

This is why people need to be able to think for themselves. You
can't believe everything you're told ... but neither can you afford
to disbelieve everything you're told. You have to think.