[Phys-L] Re: World Jump Day

Here is an interesting comment from one Blog
---------------------------------------
I hope you all read this comment because that site is a HOAX. The website is
registered to an artist known as Torsten Lauschmann who has been known to
pull similar stunts in the past. The video of scientist Hans Peter Niesward
is actually Lauschmann with a coat and nerdy glasses. Plus the idea violates
a couple laws of physics.
---------------------------------------

However, a number of blogs had people really taking it seriously. I suspect
that the merchandise that he is selling (T-shirts) are actually obtainable,
and he may be making a little money for either the gullible, or the people
who appreciate the joke.

However, I wonder how many people have been taken in?

One of the interesting suggestions was from a blogger who said the effect
would be enhanced by jumping off of a high bridge or building. I think the
improvement he is thinking of is removing the gullible from the gene pool.

There are some amusing comments at:
http://digg.com/links/World_Jump_Day_2

While they get some physics right NTN3 seems to be problematic for many of
the bloggers.

So enjoy the joke. Happy New Year!

John M. Clement
Houston, TX