[Phys-L] Re: entropy and electricity

Fayngold, Moses wrote:

Now, suppose we have a single photon whose polarization is
equally likely to be found in one of two distinct states,
namely, either along the x- or along the y-direction,
after we will have passed it through, say, a polarizing
beam-splitter.

Then, At 10:54 AM 12/16/2005, John Denker responded in this way:

That description is ambiguous.

Does this mean that before that the photon's entropy is
1 bit?

That depends on how we disambiguate the question. There are
two extreme cases:

a) Unpolarized light has density matrix
[ .5 0 ]
[ ]
[ 0 .5 ]
and has an entropy density of one bit per photon.
/snip /

Hmmmm.... Moses talks of a single photon, and John responds with
properties of an ensemble of photons expressed as an average value
per photon. Is that it?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!