[Phys-L] Re: stretch it a bit

Anthony asks:

-----Original Message-----
From: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu] On
Behalf >Of Anthony Lapinski
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 3:43 PM

All other factors remaining the same, why are shorter springs stiffer
(higher k) than longer ones? If you cut a spring in half, the spring
constant of either half is twice that of the original spring. What is
the
easiest way to analyze this?

One way to think of it:

For the shorter spring segment, to get the same extension for a given
applied force, it would require greater deformation of each turn of the
spring.

Another way:

The ideal spring is like our ideal, inextensible, mass-less strings, in
the sense that the tension at each point in the spring/string is the
same. If I want to stretch the original spring dx, that stretches each
half by dx/2 - which means that the half springs are stiffer - based on
the usual way of measuring the spring constant.

No position is so absurd that a philosopher cannot be

found to argure for it." -- Michael Lockwood

Dr. George Spagna
Chair, Physics Department
Randolph-Macon College
P.O. Box 5005