[Phys-L] Re: A Letter to Juliet from Richard Dawkins - part 2

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Caviness" <caviness@SOUTHERN.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2005 6:10 PM
Subject: Re: A Letter to Juliet from Richard Dawkins - part 2

<cutting>

A more germane question here is whether the Dawkins letter is
insulting to theists, or if the insult is only a perceived one. We now
have
data that at least one person (R. McDermott) found the message insulting.
Uretsky's comment seems to indicate that he did _not_ find the Dawkins
letter to be insulting to theists, or at least not more insulting than
appropriate when dealing with such individuals. At least the implication
is
McDermott only felt insulted because of personal (and presumably invalid)
reasons. Uretsky neatly avoids the question of whether or not an unbiased
observer would find the message insulting.

I simply find the entire thing unnecessarily abusive and hostile. Does it
bother me what Dawkins thinks? Not at all. Do I object to him voicing his
opinions? Not at all. Do I object to publishing such a hostile missive
here in a science forum? You bet your life I do.