[Phys-L] Re: A Letter to Juliet from Richard Dawkins - part 2

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fayngold, Moses" <fayngold@ADM.NJIT.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2005 2:13 PM
Subject: Re: A Letter to Juliet from Richard Dawkins - part 2

<Cutting.. Science is not religion and religion is not science>

Moreover, I consider myself a religios person.0
I am a religious person because I (using Einstein's words)
"...stand in awe" before the wonders of Nature. I am a
religious person precisely because I am not adherent to
any religious system. I think there is difference between
being religious and being adherent to that or this
religion.
Therefore I think that messages like Dawkins' letter
are totally relevant for this forum,

If Dawkins letter were a discussion of the merits, or lack thereof, of ID as
science, I would agree with you. Since it devolves into a hatchet job on
religion in general (at least he's even-handed), I disagree with you in this
case.

since many of us
may be interested not only in the Ohm's law, but also
in big picture including phylosophical questions.
I do not see any reason why anyone claiming to be
religious should feel offended by such letter.

If you're not offended by his writing that religion is "made up" and lacks
any evidence or justification for its existence, that's well and fine. That
a "religious person" can not see why someone else might be offended by such
statements is hard for me to understand.

Why is it OK to question any scientific issue, including
the moral status of science itself, but it is not OK to
question anything about religion?

I have no problem with questioning. I have a problem with an outright
attack. Further, I don't think that "questioning religion" really belongs
in a physics forum, any more than I think that a discussion of Jesus as the
Messiah does.