[Phys-L] Intelligent Design news

It may be dying.
Here is a cross post with a reference to an article.

**********************
Abstract from the NASSMC Briefing Service (NBS) that is supported in
part by the National Science Teachers Association, International
Technology Education Association and Triangle Coalition for Science
and Technology Education, Thursday, December 8, 2005. Original
article appeared in the New York Times, Sunday, December 4, 2005, p.
WK 1. See http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/weekinreview/04good.html
**********************
Intelligent Design Might Be Meeting Its Maker

The long string of news stories about support for intelligent design
in various school systems around the country gives the impression
that the theory is gaining momentum. Though the movement's slogan,
"Teach the controversy," might have broad public appeal, it has
failed to gain expected support among conservative academics.

The Templeton Foundation, which provided some initial grants for
conferences about intelligent design, has cooled to the concept. Even
some scholars at conservative Christian colleges say they remain
unconvinced that intelligent design holds up as a scientific theory.

"I teach at the largest Baptist university in the world," says Derek
Davis, director of the J.M. Dawson Institute of Church-State Studies
at Baylor University, in Texas. "I'm a religious person. And my basic
perspective is intelligent design doesn't belong in science
class...It's a religious worldview that's being advanced."

Voters in Dover, Pennsylvania last month showed their displeasure
over the school board's decision to require the teaching of
intelligent design in biology classes by voting out the members who
supported the policy. A judge has yet to rule in the widely
publicized case challenging the Dover board's decision on the grounds
that the theory's links to creationism make it an unconstitutional
teaching of religion in public school classrooms.