[Phys-L] Re: Momentum

Rick Tarara wrote:

I think there are many cases where modeling energy as 'substance like' works
well,

Yes.

but this is not one of those.

Please explain. What is "this" problem we're trying to solve?

-- Conservation of energy and conservation of momentum have always worked
for me. I'm not seeing a problem with them.
-- In the absence of a problem, it is hard to say whether "the"
problem could be solved by de-reifying energy.

=========

That reminds me of a funny(?) story. A math student, for his thesis, hypothesized
the existence of a certain class of objects (I forget the details). He spent four
years working out the fascinating properties of such objects. At his thesis
defense, an outside examiner blurted out a proof that no such objects exist.
The student had spent four years studying the members of the null set!