[Phys-L] Re: Eureka!

Sam Taylor Coleridge described the opium-induced state which he said
led to this:

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.
So twice five miles of fertile ground
With walls and towers were girdled round:
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
And here were forests ancient as the hills,
Enfolding sunny spots of greenery.
[...]

Percy Bysshe Shelley wrote this:.

The Indian Serenade

I ARISE from dreams of thee
In the first sweet sleep of night,
When the winds are breathing low,
And the stars are shining bright.
I arise from dreams of thee,
And a spirit in my feet
Hath led me=ADwho knows how?
To thy chamber window, Sweet!
[...]

One who has never wondered near the home of his youthful fancy
has evidently missed the insanity of youthful infatuation.
Brian