[Phys-L] Re: Momentum

This reminds me of the more easily answered question. How does the wall
know just how much to push back when one pushes against it?

"... it will find its way into other forms--deformations
and thermal energy primarily."

BUT how does it know when to stop the conversion? *

My impression is that is the question. I suppose we could wait for
clarification, but then we wouldn't be able to reveal our personalities.
J.D. was predictable; R.T. and J.B. I don't remember well enuff to
have predicted.

I missing something too, as I can't think of a microscopic answer that
fits all contingencies, as the one that does for the question in the
first paragraph.

The examples I immediately think of are: a putty pall and anything
else, magnets, velcro, capture w/ e.g. a trap door. In each case the
micro. description of dissipation is difficult and indeterminate. How
does the putty know to warm up so its specific heat cap. times temp rise
is equal to 1/2 the initial KE?

bc, puzzled.

p.s. J.D. answered the ideal question.

* Eureka! but I'll wait. [as I was about to push the button.]

Richard Tarara wrote:
Maybe I can clarify the question. I think David knows quite well that once
we use momentum conservation here, then the KE must be 1/2 the initial.
But, how is it that the channels into which the KE is converted, which seem
somewhat random and non-specific, always somehow are able to convert
exactly 50% of the KE into other forms?

I'll take a crack at it. I think you have to look at it the other way
around. The conservation of momentum dictates that only 50% of the initial
energy is available for KE in the final system. We have to keep reminding
ourselves that this energy thing is just a book-keeping system. Since 50%
is NOT available as KE, it will find its way into other forms--deformations
and thermal energy primarily. Momentum conservation is primary here and
sets the energy parameters. [That's my feeble attempt.]

Rick

R.W.Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College