[Phys-L] Momentum

In the ideal case of two equal masses colliding linearly where one is
stationary and one is moving whereby they stick together after the
collision (totally inelastic), the conservation of momentum leads to the
conclusion that half the kinetic energy is lost to other forms. Of
course, in the real world, one has sound, deflection of materials,
friction at least that will convert the energy to other forms.

But what does this really say? What do the "ideal" conditions mean?
Why, regardless of the masses is exactly half of the kinetic energy
lost. When we say "ideal" conditions to we mean frictionless, rigid
objects in an airless world?

Can someone help make some sense out of this? I wish I could make the
question more clear so perhaps it is my lack of clarity about the
situation that is the cause of the question. Any help in clarifying
this issue would be appreciated. David Abineri

--
dabineri@fuse.net