[Phys-L] Re: Combining "Survivor" and physics???

Already been done:
http://www.pbs.org/weta/roughscience/
check out how popular the show was and then you'll
have some evidence on the idea's viability.

It may have already been done, but this show isn't it!

This is a complete apples-to-orange comparison. The goal on this show
was to create a professional production with professional
scientists/engineers for mass entertainment (and minimal passive
education). My goal is to incorporate PER ideas (peer instruction,
context-rich problems, active student participation) using a readily
recognizable cultural phenomenon that may engage the students' interest.
They are already taking the class - why not add some excitement?

I don't see how the viability of one project would have any predictive
powers about the viability of the other.

Tim Folkerts