[Phys-L] Re: Combining "Survivor" and physics???

Having all women in my classes can add to the problems Jack suggests. I
like to do one class on 'Science-Fiction physics'--time travel, faster than
light travel, transporters, and replicators. The problem is that I
actually have students who have NEVER seen an episode or movie of Star
Trek, even some who have never seen a Star Wars movie--even the Back to the
Future movies are foreign to some. Several who have seen some of these are
not the least bit interested in speculating on the possibilities (or
impossibilities) suggested by these shows--even after pointing out that a
lot of modern day technology was 'forecast' by science-fiction writers.

Rick

R.W.Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College