[Phys-L] Re: Combining "Survivor" and physics???

Teachers, especially, need to be cautious about ascribing their own=
=20
enthusiasms to their students.

Point well-taken, Jack.

Actually, I'm not a big fan of the "Survivor" shows myself, but I thi=
nk it is something most students would recognize. The hope was that =
by giving the science some context, it would be more "real" than arbi=
trary problems at the end of the chapters. Like the "Context-Rich Pr=
oblems" from UMinn.

And there is no need to actually know or follow the show to participa=
te, as long as the rules are clearly spelled out. It would also be i=
mportant that neither I nor the students assume that some feature of =
the show carries over to the class when it doesn't.

Tim F =20