[Phys-L] Combining "Survivor" and physics???

I had a brainstorm the other day and thought I'd get some feedback fr=
om the wise people on this list. What about teaching a science class=
with a "Survivor" theme? I was specifically thinking about an intro=
ductory college physical science class, but the idea could apply to j=
ust about any course.=20

The students would get grouped into "tribes" that would work together=
on certain "challenges". Soome activities woudol be graded individu=
ally, others as a tribe. Performing well on certain class activities=
or homework could earn immunity - perhaps drop a low homework score =
or a low exam problem.

The lab activities could be given survivor-type themes, such as =20
* follow a treasure map with d=3Dvt (and perhaps vectors) style direc=
tions.
* supplies (eggs) have to survive a trip off a cliff.
* a slingshot must be aimed to fire a projectile a specific distance.
* cabbage juice used to identify acids and bases.
* wire up a set of lights for their hut - bright in some areas and di=
m in others.
* determine the location, cardinal directions, and/or season using as=
tronomy principles.
* predict when the moon will be out and what the tides will be like a=
t a particular time.

Perhaps during some lab periods the tribe would have to come in and g=
ive oral reports, where each person would have to answer part of the =
question. The grade would be a combination of individual performance=
and tribe performance (encouraging the tribe to coach each other so =
they will be prepared).

I would probably re-divide the tribes during the semester - perhaps a=
fter each exam - so that people wouldn't be stuck with a "bad" tribe =
the whole semester.

Does this seem like a viable approach? Any concerns that might cause=
it to fail miserably? Any other suggestions for improvement? Its s=
eems to me like a lot of good ideas from PER could be incorporated, a=
nd it might add a little interest for the students. One problem woul=
d be dealing with the students who drop and leave their tribes short-=
handed.

Tim Folkerts
Host of "Survivor: Kansas"