[Phys-L] Re: Bad Theory?

I fully aggress that the term model is a much better description than
theory, but we are stuck with the word theory which has already been taught
to elementary and HS children. We are also stuck with the historical usage
of the word law, and also the incorrect definition given in many science
texts past and present. Now if we both pushed for the word model and also
for understanding of the words we are stuck with, then some of the debate
about evolution might be less inflamed.

The public ignorance of science is vast, and is promoted by the popular
press. So we certainly need to send the press corrections of their
incorrect usage. For example there was an episode of the Magic School Bus
that equated power with energy. Unfortunately there is little hope of
getting it corrected and the program will continue in re-runs for many
years.

I always try to use the word model instead of theory, but the word law is
already firmly attached to many physical named "laws". Incidentally the
word law is also very often used with a person's name, such as Boyle's law.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

IMO the discussion of the usage of the words theory, law,
hypothesis, is a pointless exercise in semantical pedantry - or, perhaps,
pedantic semantics. A better description of what we do, and that might be
more universally acceptable, would be to speak in terms of "models".
Evolution, then, is the standard model that describes the evidence
uncovered by paleontologists, and others of their ilk.