[Phys-L] Re: Another Shot Fired in the War Against Science.

bc wrote:

James is quite correct. However, one of the aims of the current
Republicans is to destroy public education, by, for example,
vouchers.

which I personally suspect is an overly general condemnation, but for
which Bob at PC, nevertheless, provided the following corroborating
evidence:

Public education (at least where I live) is so abysmal there is
nothing left to destroy. Vouchers, charter schools, parochial
schools - anything is better than what we have now.

As with so many other things on the agenda of the party currently in
power (e.g., dismantling social security, making war on countries
that do not pose a threat to us, getting rid of environmental
protections, etc.), there are honest reasons for individuals to favor
each one. Indeed, Bob provides one for killing off the public
education system. The problem is, of course, that those honest
reasons are rarely given because the vast majority of Americans would
be appalled by them.

Just my opinion.

--
John "Slo" Mallinckrodt