[Phys-L] Re: Another Shot Fired in the War Against Science.

Bernard Cleyet wrote:
<clip>

"However, one of the aims of the current
Republicans is to destroy public education, by, for example, vouchers."

This is certainly a debatable conclusion. Many feel that allowing
parents, esp.low income parents, to have the ability to move their
children to a (in their opinion) better school could provide impetuse
for change in public schools. Many who do have the economic resources
do this routinely (I have).

<clip>
p.s. writing one is free to start their own school is like writing rich
and poor are equally prohibited from sleeping under bridges.

James E Mackey wrote:

No comment on the Bush appointment. However the school in question is a
privately funded school with a right to set whatever standards it
requires for it's student body.

clip>
I don't see the analogy here. I have been a participant in starting a
private school, and while it is not easy and requires a great commitment
of its participants. it can be done. BTW this was done because a local
private academy with excellent academic standards, which my children
attended, was not a suitable place for my grandchild who needed a small
school with very close personal attention to suceed. While my
grandchild no longer attends, the school is still operating. So, by BC
criteria, I don't know whether I fall in the rich or poor category being
prohibited from sleeping under the bridge!
James Mackey