[Phys-L] Re: Another Shot Fired in the War Against Science.

James is quite correct. However, one of the aims of the current
Republicans is to destroy public education, by, for example, vouchers.
The end result would be very few public schools. True the private ones
would be under similar parental pressure as are public. Whether the
result would be the same as now [a few isolated ID schools] or a much
greater number, I don't know. But we (I assume the majority of us) must
guard against this, hence the armament (figurative).

OTOH private schools are free to be much more "progressive" than the
vast majority of public. Webb is an excellent example.

I comment on the appointment:

The appointment is: "... deputy director of the United States Agency
for International Development (USAID), which is in charge of all
programs to promote democracy and good governance overseas."

I consider such pledges as anti-democratic to the point of being fascistic.

bc, ashamed to have signed a loyalty oath in '55 to be a student
projectionist at Santa Barbara HS.

p.s. writing one is free to start their own school is like writing rich
and poor are equally prohibited from sleeping under bridges.

James E Mackey wrote:

No comment on the Bush appointment. However the school in question is a
privately funded school with a right to set whatever standards it
requires for it's student body. If individuals don't agree or don't
like those policies they are not required to a attend the school. They
can attend a public university where one can freely and openly and
acceptably criticise those policies, while reacting vehemently when the
standards and policies of their institution are critised by the
"Fundamentalists". At most private schools policies are set by a board,
usually composed of constituents and supporters. If you don't like it
and don't agree, then you are perfectly free to start your own school,
rather than taking out "the machine guns".
James Mackey

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

"... Another Shot in Defense of Science ..."

We certainly need them.

Look what's in store for us if we don't get out the machine guns:

"Faculty members, too, must sign a pledge stating they share a
generally literalist belief in the Bible. Revealingly, only biology
and theology teachers are required to hold a literal view specifically

cut