[Phys-L] Re: Another Shot Fired in the War Against Science.

OK, but I was referring narrowly to evolution. Also Lyell did precede
D. but mainly as a supposition w/ much less evidence.

bc

History even earlier:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/precursors/precurstrans.html

And there were precursor shots (uproars).

John Clement wrote:
I believe Erasmus fired first, unless you count Galileo, or Copernicus. The
religious conservatives lost the Copernican revolution. As a result the
Roman Catholic church and the mainline churches have learned their lessons
and do not oppose scientific understanding. Unfortunately the
fundamentalists have not learned this lesson. Charles had the temerity to
come up with hard evidence and a mechanism for evolution. Prior to that it
had been hypothesized based on structural evidence.

Considering the various religious skirmishes, wars, and persecutions one can
hardly call it a peaceful establishment. I suppose ultimately one will
never really know who fired first.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I don't think they (the religious) would agree. Darwin et al. fired
first at a peaceful establishment.

bc

Shapiro, Mark wrote:

In a war shots usually are fired on both sides.

In this case the religious right fired first, and I fired back.

Mark