[Phys-L] Re: Hours of sunlight

Or ... you could ask the people who really know what matters -- your local gardening experts, who will probably tell you to watch the site during the different seasons.

I would recommend a book used by our landscape gardening department: Ortho's Complete Guide to Vegetables, by Jacqueline Heriteau. The second capter is on "Light and Site." There are other considerations than just the amount of direct sunlight. For example, "Reflected light can greatly increase the potential of an area that seems too shaded for food plants. The usual sources of reflected light are white and pale-colored walls and expanses of glass and water. You can create reflected light by whitewashing a wall or fence." Another example would be that mid-morning sun can be better than afternoon sun in warmer climates, since afternoon sun may tend to overheat the garden.

Cheers,

Rick

Richard E. Swanson, Ph.D.
Dean of Instruction
Physics Professor
Sandhills Community College, Pinehurst, NC 28374
swansonr@sandhills.edu (910) 695-3715

betwys1@SBCGLOBAL.NET 11/23/2005 9:22 PM >>>