[Phys-L] Re: Singing Rod Demo....

A quick analysis of the frequency range of the longitudinal and
traverse components will show that the longitudinal wave have a much
higher frequency...in the "singing" range. Also if you hold the rod
horizontally you will find the sound is loudest along the line of the
rod, suggesting propagation from the end, again in indication of the
source being a longitudinal wave in the rod.

cheers,

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Physics