[Phys-L] Re: measuring the period of a pendulum

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Whatcott" <betwys1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

I have rolled dissimilar balls down a ramp, timing the progression by
heartbeats, in the Galilean manner. This gave me ample opportunity
to massage the results in ignorance of variable angular momenta
of the balls.

But I knew that more precision could be obtained by identifying an
instance of a spacetime event. One plausible method would be to
shine a laser pointer on the lowest point of the pendulum's bob.

That would give me an easy opportunity to discover that holding a photo
sensor near the bob, and connecting to an oscilloscope or counter
or electronic stop watch or viewing with a videocamera
would give more reproducible results.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!

Then we could have a stepping motor to change the length of the pendulum,
send all the data to the computer where it would be automatically compiled,
graphed, and analyzed, and then the results could be printed out. Now how
do we get the computer to write up it's own procedure, finish the analysis,
and write a summary/conclusion?

;-)

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
Animations for Lectures
Photo-realistic Lab simulations
Energy management simulations
Energy 2100--class project