[Phys-L] Re: frame independence

A clarification is in order.

-- In general, the dot product between two vectors is a scalar.
-- In D=3, any such dot product is invariant under rotations.
Homework: prove this.
-- In D=1+3 spacetime, any such dot product is invariant under
rotations *and* boosts. Homework: prove this.

As Moses F. correctly pointed out, in D=3 a dot product such as
V dot Xhat is not invariant under boosts. OTOH if we re-interpret
V and Xhat as four-vectors, then V dot Xhat *is* frame-independent.

The last sentence of my previous note was just plain wrong. The
example I gave works fine in spacetime, but not in Euclidean space.
Sorry.
http://lists.nau.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0511&L=phys-l&P=27859