[Phys-L] Re: Ambiguous Question

[Original Message]
From: Bernard Cleyet <anngeorg@PACBELL.NET>
To: <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Is anyone on this list willing to admit using power point except w/
colleagues?

bc, has PP in computer ONLY to read such docs. from the web.

Sure, I have an extensive set of Power Points with imbedded animations
(from my own stuff) that I use in my liberal arts class. I don't read the
PowerPoints, and in fact, they are really designed to be study helps to be
accessed from BlackBoard before and after the classes, but can be useful in
class as well. If I have a particular example worked out, or especially
if I want to access one of my animations with some text context, they are
useful. I actually just work through the material in class in a somewhat
different way--trying to get as much interaction as possible (in a class of
70), but the PP provides a general outline of where I'm going, and then
provides, as stated, a study guide.

OTOH, I have basically abandoned the use of such in my Science major's,
calc-level course. There I will generally access the desired animations
separately. However, in a few cases, the PP slides are the best way to
present certain material.

What you really need to think here is that PP is just a set of preprepared
overheads. I use white backgrounds, large black text, for 90% of what I
do. I do add pictures, figures, and imbed other software as appropriate,
but I don't do any of extraneous PP stuff--having stuff zoom in from stage
left, etc.

As will all technology, PP is a tool that can be used well or used badly.
That is up to you.

Rick

R.W.Tarara
Professor of Physics