[Phys-L] Ambiguous Question

Oh! What a great teaching opportunity

=20

I will try to make this brief. I am retired after 39 years of teachin=
g 35 years in a Community College. I learned from a professor of min=
e years ago that ambiguous questions placed purposefully could be an =
ideal teaching moment. However, you have to be fair and you cannot =
do it too frequently. If I unintentionally placed an ambiguous proble=
m in the test the problem could still be a good teaching opportunity =
and know one would be the wiser. The problem that is now under discus=
sion is one similar to what I used in the past. Now why I thought it =
was a great opportunity:

=20

1.. I gave credit for all answers that were correct considering the=
ambiguity of the problem.
2.. The student who pointed out the reference frame that they were =
using for their correct solution I gave credit plus extra bonus point=
s. I was searching for more than a correct solution. I was searching =
for the student who was aware of the ambiguity and would establish a =
hypothesis for their solution. In lecture, I then took the opportunit=
y to complement these students on their method. =20
3.. The bonus for me was on following exams when students who misse=
d a question (problem) would come in during office hours and lab peri=
ods and explain their method for the solution to the problem in quest=
ion. This is was my underlining goal. That they would establish a con=
fidence in the methods they chose. My task was to teach the correct m=
ethod and to be able to encourage the student to continue do the home=
work and grasp my teaching method.
I could go on with the benefits that I received from the student fee=
d back. One last point; science is full of ambiguities and we have to=
establish hypothesis, make measurements, improve accuracy and develo=
p confidence with repeatability so others will understand and except =
our conclusions. We in science are so fortunate with our methods comp=
ared to those who espouse religious or political dogma.

=20

=20