[Phys-L] Re: Ambiguous Question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Tipton" <kctipton007@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

Ha! Just give instructions that "you are to work all problems below."
No matter how you number them, can they argue with "all"?

-- Keith

Sure they can! My one class argued that mass and velocity were perfectly
good answers for a question asking for what basic principles of physics were
used in the analysis of the collision lab we had just done (conservation of
momentum and of KE were the answers expected-- based on class, lab
discussion, and lab handouts). That mass and velocity didn't really satisfy
any dictionary definitions of 'principle' didn't sway anyone. Giving
half-credit (based on the fact that mass and velocity were the quantities
used in the lab calculations) DID satisfy most! ;-)

Rick (semi happy that those students at least remembered that much about
their lab experience.)

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
Animations for Lectures
Photo-realistic Lab simulations
Energy management simulations
Energy 2100--class project