[Phys-L] Re: Here we go again. WTC brought down by aircraft, not.

At 01:06 AM 11/17/2005, you wrote:
Dr.Marshall notes
the non-standard construction of the towers, whose truss system was
devised for convenience during construction " the trusses were
lightweight and easy to raise hundreds of feet in the air during
construction.
///
bc

The floor trusses were welded tube. The design was pushed through
despite the designers' reservations. A single person with a step ladder
and a hack saw would be capable of destroying the truss's integrity.
No explosives required.Some of the spray insulation was
subsequently removed as a health hazard.

The crucial fire resistance of the center pillar intended to carry the
gravity load was unprotected plaster board - which a
single kick of a boot is sufficient to puncture. No aircraft required.

I take it that a physicist such as a BYU physics prof might also ask for
further investigation if he heard that a decent wood pillar is more
fire-resistant than a steel rolled section of equivalent compressive
strength.
That is to say: expertise in one field does not necessarily transfer.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!