[Phys-L] Re: Ambiguous Question

At 11:49 PM 11/16/2005, BC, you wrote:

If the writer had written "... in the direction of the dock.", then it
would have been a completely legitimately ambiguous question. Even so,
unless the writer is in the habit of writing "trick" questions, I think
part of the exercise is to determine what is the question. Really now,
17 meters, come off it.

bc

p.s. reminds me of thru the looking glass. How many of those students
had read it?

There is something evocative about this question. Center of mass
is no doubt the standard, possibly correct physics mindset.

But I am thinking and thinking about some non linearity of the walk
in the boat. Like a vibrating object on a smooth table top - it
can traverse....(??)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!