[Phys-L] Re: Face on Mars / GBS (was: Here we go again)

Interesting, but not helpful:
"Sorry, no matches were found containing george bernard shaw."

Or did you have something else in mind?

Mike

On Nov 15, 2005, at 12:08 PM, Pat Viele wrote:

An interesting web site:

Urban Legends Reference Pages
http://www.snopes.com/

Pat the Librarian

At 11:08 AM 11/15/2005, you wrote:
On Nov 15, 2005, at 3:39 AM, G.D. Williams wrote:

I'm not sure whether it's good to spark an interest in pupils and
discuss
this stuff or not but I do know I got really fed up with talking
about the
moon landing 'hoax'. I found the face on Mars one good to use in
class
because you could see it disappear as the resolution increased.

Since Gary brought this up, I'm going to try this request again -- I
recall seeing an aerial photo of an island that looked remarkably
like George Bernard Shaw in profile. I think the island is in Canada.
I've always thought it would be fun to put that next to the face on
Mars in a presentation on this kind of misconception.

Has *anyone* seen this picture? I've googled around a bit, and have
found out that the picture was taken during a Canadian geological
survey (I think) and that it is mentioned in a book by Arthur C.
Clarke ("The Snows of Olympus"). If anyone could point me to an on-
line version of the picture, I'd appreciate it.

Mike
---
Michael Porter
Colonel By Secondary School
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Patricia T. Viele, Physics & Astronomy Librarian
Edna McConnell Clark Physical Sciences Library
Clark Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853-2501
Voice: 607-255-0067