[Phys-L] Re: centripetal force question

The force vector on the tire (sum of normal and friction forces) would be a vector pointing upward through the rider's body. The force on the rider is mostly normal, since his surface (the seat) is banked. This assumes the rider has the same lean angle as the bike, neither leaning more (like road racers) or less (like novice riders). Thus the rider has two forces, normal and gravitational, which add to centripetal.
Skip

-----Original Message-----
From: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu]On
Behalf Of Anthony Lapinski
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 17:50
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: centripetal force question

We know that a motorcycle driver leans inward (toward the center of a
circle) when turning a corner that is UNBANKED. My question is how does
the FBD look for the driver and cycle? Are both behaving like they are on
a BANKED curve, or is N still vertical to balance w, and then fs is the
centripetal force? Or is N slanted inward, and both Nx and fs add to
provide the centripetal?

It makes sense that the driver FEELS heavier during this turn, like he/she
would on a banked curve. This means N is more, and then N would be slanted
inward (like a banked curve), and not upward. However, N is always
perpendicular to the surface (ground), which is flat. There appears to be
a contradiction here. Can anyone help me out with this analysis?