[Phys-L] Re: centripetal force question

Hi,

The tires provide a frictional force which points
toward the center of the curve.

Thanks
Roger Haar
U of AZ

Anthony Lapinski wrote:

We know that a motorcycle driver leans inward (toward the center of a
circle) when turning a corner that is UNBANKED. My question is how does
the FBD look for the driver and cycle? Are both behaving like they are on
a BANKED curve, or is N still vertical to balance w, and then fs is the
centripetal force? Or is N slanted inward, and both Nx and fs add to
provide the centripetal?

It makes sense that the driver FEELS heavier during this turn, like he/she
would on a banked curve. This means N is more, and then N would be slanted
inward (like a banked curve), and not upward. However, N is always
perpendicular to the surface (ground), which is flat. There appears to be
a contradiction here. Can anyone help me out with this analysis?