[Phys-L] Re: Foucault pendulum

At 07:59 AM 11/14/2005, John Suhl, you wrote:

Brian's suggestion of a simple AC circuit is interesting but I wonder
about phase issues and keeping the pulse period exactly the same as
the pendulum's period. I'll look up the articles in Sci. Am.

Still open to circuit ideas.

Thanks.

John

John E. Sohl, Ph.D.

The constant AC drive method uses line frequency.
The method depends on the balance of force as seen from
the pendulum's bob. The desired condition is a little more pull to
the center while approaching than when leaving the center.

The method is extremely frustrating to folks who want to take
care of transients and feedback from a sensor to a drive...
There is no sensor - only the time varying magnetic field in the
vicinity of the coil.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!