[Phys-L] Re: Quotations

At 10:40 AM 11/5/2005, Zeke, you wrote:

Howdy-

I was reading "The Business", a novel by British
writer Iain Banks. It is interesting and well-written,
if largely plotless, book. It has two interesting
quotations in it about science. (The spelling is
correct in an English kind of way.)

*quotation 1*

'One of your American professors said that to study
religion was merely to know the mind of man, but if
one truly wanted to know the mind of God, you must
study physics.'

*end*

This sounds like Paul Davies, but he is not an
American professor. Does anyone know the original
quotation, or should I just attribute it to Banks?
///
Marc "Zeke" Kossover

This is similar to a sentiment expressed by William James
if the word "physics" is substituted by "science",
as you may verify with a text search using

<http://print.google.com/>

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!