[Phys-L] Re: A novel voting system

If Ann, Bob, and Chuck are candidates, a voter who is
ambivalent toward Ann and Bob, but strongly opposes Chuck
could cast a negative vote against Chuck. Under a
"half vote" system, the voter would have to cast a
positive vote for either Ann or Bob (or not at all).

I certainly see the mathematical logic of negative votes, but I still
have a philosophical problem with negative votes. What do you do when
the election comes out with a net negative vote for each candidate? The
least unpopular person gets elected?

Besides, the BC system will still work in this scenario. If 40 % want
Chuck, and 60% want Anyone But Chuck, in the initial election Chuck get
40%, and Ann & Bob share the other 60%. Since no one won, the weaker of
A & B gets cut, and the other gets 60% to Chuck's 40%. Chuck is
defeated.

As the Wiki suggests, there are numerous variations with subtle
differences, but on the whole, I don't think a negative vote is needed
(or effective).

Tim F

P.S. I kept typing "electron" instead of "election". Perhaps that is a
subconscious desire to get back to physics ;-)