[Phys-L] A novel voting system

I remember many years ago reading in Scientific American (in Martin
Gardner's column, I think) about voting systems of different sorts.
The gist of it was that scholars had found no best system for
handling democratic voting. Still, some still strive for a better
system, despite the fact that intransitivity paradoxes pop up
whenever one examines systems closely. It is intransitivity that lies
at the root of Michael's problem.

In May the voters here in BC voted almost 60 percent for a new system
in a referendum. As it happens, that was not enough for that
referendum to pass (grumble). The system, called BC-STV, is similar
to ones used in Ireland and New Zealand. Most people who voted
against the system simply didn't understand it, a great problem which
may be overcome when the system comes up for a vote again in 2008.
The Canadian system currently used is terribly unsatisfactory.

If you want to see what was proposed, see <http://
citizensassembly.bc.ca/resources/flash/bc-stv-full.swf>. Even more
exciting than the system itself is the process by which it was
arrived at: <http://citizensassembly.bc.ca>.

I am very proud of my fellow non-politician citizens who came up with
this scheme. It is opposed by all political parties which, I believe,
is its most persuasive endorsement.