[Phys-L] Re: Fog Index

At 10:29 AM 11/2/2005, Bernard Cleyet wrote:
I tend to write long sentences w/ too many dependent and inde. clauses.
(..and gratuitous abbreviations, I might add! :-)

Tom Wayburn wrote:
On the other hand, the following paragraph got a 1.71:

Hef gomba skig lit poog. Wak ab it fidskip pigfud fory. My pig had a
dog.

This is an online calculator of Fog Index
<http://library.loganutah.org:8080/bridgerland/TutorTips/fog>

John Clement 11.62
John Denker 9.69
Rick Swanson 9.65
Rick Tarara 8.92
BC 8.81
Mark Shapiro 8.68
Me 7.26
Roger Haar 4.41

It is interesting to read contributors to this thread
complain that this or that index does not REALLY measure
readability nor comprehensibility.

Well, yes!

Did anyone seriously suppose that any ranking measure of one
variable along a line will encompass the wonderful variety of
texture in many dimensions that can comprise comprehension?

Surely not!

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!