[Phys-L] Re: Fog Index

I tend to write long sentences w/ too many dependent and inde. clauses.
On rereading them, I even have difficulty, sometimes. The two scores
for which I gave the formula take this into account. I would add a
dictionary check with a rather limited number., i.e. 10k? words. This
would catch technical writing and authors like W. Wilson reputed to have
a >20K word vocab. Also added to the sentence length would be a
function incorporating the number of commas and semicolons.

bc, who thinks TW's scores list of famous authors is a correct measure.

Tom Wayburn wrote:
On the other hand, the following paragraph got a 1.71:

Hef gomba skig lit poog. Wak ab it fidskip pigfud fory. My pig had a dog.
Was gib nut drib foog? Wa pak is dam fin bot. Hog is dog log cog nog fog.
What is my fog index? I am find pot cause bugs. Bim pim mim kim. Jopg?
No. Past miggle put ham but. Widge me goggle. What? Pock mod fun. This
is a drag. But I want to give a nice shot. Is this hard to read? Me no
thinkum hard. Is this enough? I hope so.

Tom Wayburn,
Houston, Texas

P.S. Nevertheless, it scares me that what I thought was (my) flawless prose
got an 18.02. William James got a 9.14, Henry James got a 14.74, Cosmides
and Tooby got a 11.92, and James Joyce got a 31.60.