[Phys-L] Re: student difficulties with velocity as a vector?

At 11:07 AM 10/29/2005, you wrote:
No, it is not that they are not paying attention, it is that they do not
understand what you are saying. While there are certainly some that are not
paying attention, for others your assumptions and theirs do not line up so
that what they decode is not what you intended to convey. Then there are
others for whom there is a lack of certain underlying thinking skills. 2
dimensional vectors require the ability to do 2 variable reasoning, and
there are students who are not there yet.

///

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I suppose it is way, way below a physics teacher's mien
to give a pitch like this:
"Folks, there is something very very strange going on with these two balls.
One I drop off the edge of the bench, the other I whack sidewards.
Watch: what is strange about the time the balls take to hit the floor?"

Show not talk? Forget about 2-d vectors? Let's see the evidence first?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!